Custom Search

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Garden Memories and Container Garden TIps

When I was a kid I spend lots of time at my grandparents. I had two sets of them, I was lucky, they both lived within a short distance of our family home. Each of my grandparents were farmers and were proud of it. My moms mother loved her garden. It was very similar to this picture. It was surrounded by a white picket fence with a little gate. In the garden she would grow veggies that the family would use year round as well as flowers She loved her flowers. My grandmother would work in her garden daily and for hours at a time.



Perhaps you would love to garden and don't have the room needed to have a garden like my grandmother had. Then try a container garden. Here a few tips to help you get your garden growing

First decide what container to grow your garden in. The tip here is bigger is better, large plastic containers with good drainage that is there or that you make by drilling holes in the bottom. Metal containers are not great because the can get to hot.

Second is to get some good potting soil to put into the containers. It should be well  aerated, lightweight and be able to drain well.

Now what to grow in containers
Tomatoes
Potatoes
Peppers
Zucchini
Salad greens
Spinach
Radishes
Peas
Carrots
Bush beans
Broccoli
Almost all herbs
 
Containers should be placed in an area that has at least 6 hours of sunlight a day. Water once a day and when hot you should water 2 times a day.
 
shared at
wild crafting Wednesday
show me what ya got
maple hill hop
Thriving Thursday
Creative Home and Garden Hop
All Things With Purpose


Manic Mother
”Wildcrafting

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post