Custom Search

Thursday, March 12, 2015

Planting Spring Bulbs

Leap Day 2012 was a day I will remember forever. It was a day that changed not only mine and my families lives but our entire community. It was the day that a tornado hit our town and ate a path and destroyed houses, lives and our community. Our house was in the path and while it was hit and damage was done there were others that were hurt more than us. A few years later and you will find us still cleaning and fixing what damage was done. One thing that was done at our house is that the tornado picked our yard  trees, flowers, bushes up by the root and took them with us leaving things like the tree but flowers and plants never to be seen again. So we must replant and one thing I miss most are the spring flowers. These were the first sign of spring to me and I miss seeing them in the yard. So I thought I have to replant so I might just share with you my friend all about spring flowers and planting bulbs.
 
What to plant when.
 

 
You will want to do a bit of research like when the flowers will bloom, what colors the flower will be, how tall these plants will be. You can find most of this on the bag or box where you purchase the bulbs.
 
Spring flowering bulbs must be planted in the fall from September to December. Check with the material on the package that bulbs arrive in to see how deep to plant. With this knowledge it will be time to plant. Using a garden fork or shovel, break up the soil where you want to plant bulb. Bulbs should be planted individually. A hole should be created in the soil twice the size of the bulb.
 

2 comments:

  1. I can't imagine having everything torn up by the roots. But the fighters in me would not give up, but start again as you did. I too love Spring bulbs! They just brighten my heart when I see them popping up from the ground. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this. We purchased a new house a little over a year ago and the landscape was in disarray. I love flowers but have no idea what to plant. I'll be using this as a guide as I try to stumble my way through getting my landscape in order.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post