Custom Search

Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Lazy Caramel Corn (no cook recipe)

Lazy Caramel Corn
2 bags of microwave popcorn
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Pop bags of popcorn and dump into a bowl.  Use a bowl, so that the unpopped kernels will fall to the bottom of the bowl and not make their way into the caramel! (Ouch!)
In a large stockpot heat brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, and salt over medium heat.  (I put my stove dial on 6.) Stir occasionally to get the butter incorporated. (a wooden spoon is fine.)
Once the brown sugar mixture starts to form big bubbles like this…
…start a timer for five minutes and do not stir any more (resist the urge to stir!!).
While the caramel is bubbling, put out on the counter sheets of wax paper.
Once the timer goes off, remove from heat and stir in the baking soda.  This will make the mixture turn foamy, so don’t freak out.
Add the popcorn in by handfuls (do not dump the bowl of popcorn in, remember the unpopped kernels!).  Fold the popcorn into the caramel, careful not to burn yourself with the hot caramel!
Turn the popcorn out onto the sheets of wax paper and use your spatula or spoon to to break it up. I just pushed it down with the back of my spatula. Then once it’s cooled to the touch a bit, I broke it up with my hands to make bite sized pieces.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post