Custom Search

Saturday, March 17, 2018

My Life Begins Today;;;; Enjoy life with a taste of Quinoa



This summer I choose to live the way I want to. I am a very responsible organized individual and respected by those that I live with, love and my co-workers as well. But this year I will choose to take risks, dream big, dress in a leisure comfortable manner, and go out when ever I am able to. 



I choose to be as weird as I choose to. Have a few drinks if I choose to. Have lots of fun and laugh until my chest muscles strengthen from all the movement. Its been a long times since I have just been me and this year I choose to be. Not only will they never forget this summer but neither will I. 



I choose to get out and take a walk, learn how to cook the way I want to, be the nana that my grandkids want and spend time with my family. I will no longer be a slave to the ordinary and will live how I choose to. Take a few vacations and work so that my co-workers and residents miss me when I am gone and welcome me back with a cheer. 



First, I start with cooking and living a bit healthier. Foods like quinoa that was unfamiliar to me not to long ago. If you was like I was let me first tell you what Quinoa is. Quinoa is a natural gluten free food packed with protein. It helps keep our bodies full for hours. It is quick to prepare and reheated through the week when ever needed. There is a whole mess of add ins to help with flavor. 



Preparing quinoa is much like other grains. Start by rinsing quinoa to prevent a bitter taste. Then using 1 part quinoa and 2 parts water place rinsed quinoa in medium pan filled with needed water. Bring to boil over high heat. Now is the time to add in flavors of your choice. Cinnamon and Vanilla are just a few choices. Heat should be reduced to low, cover, let simmer for 15 minutes or til liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat, let stand 5-10 minutes. Fluff the quinoa with a fork, add in fruit, nuts, milk, or whatever your heart desires. Serve. 



1 cup quinoa
1 can coconut milk (or 1 1/2 cup any other type of non-dairy milk)
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon cardamom
2-3 tablespoons coconut sugar (or sweetener of your choice)
1 small persimmon, cut into 1-inch pieces
3-4 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
1 handful raw walnuts

Preparation
Combine quinoa and water in a saucepan over high heat. When it comes to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook 15 minutes or until all water is absorbed.
Combine the cooked quinoa, coconut milk, cinnamon, cardamom and coconut sugar in a saucepan over medium heat until warm and creamy, about 5 minutes. (Alternatively, you can combine these ingredients in a bowl and microwave until hot).
Spoon quinoa into bowls and top with fruit and walnuts.

Pro Tip
Make a big batch of quinoa on a Sunday night and mix it with your milk of choice in the mornings throughout the week.





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post